Sunday, February 22, 2015

February 20th: Dillan's First Driftless Trout

Made a quick outing with a buddy this past Friday to get away from the city and to see if he could catch a few fish at the same time. Made it on the water around 5 and figured we'd have about an hour to fish. Temps were hanging in the low twenties and there were a couple snowflakes falling here and there. Glad to see that the ice shelves in this section weren't too bad. Hiked downstream from the bridge a quarter mile then began fishing back upstream. I let Dillan fish with the spinning rod and tried to put him on good looking spots and I tried to fly fish here and there. Watched Dillan get the casting down and saw a couple misses before I moved upstream to try my luck. Soon after I left him I heard a yell and a "I got one!"
 Really cool to watch Dillan catch his first trout! Later on during the outing we decided to switch rods and again I jumped a couple holes ahead of him. Fished through some shallow riffles and smaller holes without any luck. It was getting pretty dark and I was thinking we should be packing up in the next 5-10 mins when I hooked into a nice upper teens Brown.
Although we only caught those two, it was time well spent in the valley.

No comments:

Post a Comment